Dear Delegate Partner
Welcome to SA, KZN and Durban and thanks for accompanying your partner to the WCDP 2019.
Before planning what you will do during the three conference days, Tuesday to Thursday, remember that there are two WCDP events that you can attend with your partner, at no charge.
These two events are:
Sunday, 6th October
11h30 to 13h30 – Rescue Legends Fun event @ North Beach. Just pitch up and watch the aquatic rescue demos followed by touch rugby with SA Rugby Legends. Rescue demos by P2P boards, Seabob, ResTube.
Monday, 7th October
18h00 to 21h00 – Welcoming Function / Mayoral Reception @ Ushaka. This is free, but pre-booking is essential. Book at Registration.
Durban is a major Port and Industrial Centre, and there are many well-known tourist attractions where you can relax and enjoy the delights of Durban and the Zulu Kingdom.
Popular daytime activities:
- Ushaka Marine World has a wide range of activities and it is best to allow at least 5 hours to wander around and enjoy the Waterpark, Oceanarium, Dolphins, Seals and and and….
- The Durban Beachfront Promenade stretches from Ushaka northwards towards the Blue Lagoon. If bathing, remember to swim where the lifeguards are on duty, and take care of your possessions at all times.
- Beachfront Traders are concentrated in several areas along the beachfront. These traders are sometimes keen to barter to get a sale. Do something unique and take a ride in a Ricksha.
- Durban Mini Town is unique and on the beachfront strip, just north of the Elangeni Hotel. Check out the botanical gardens in front of the Elangeni Hotel.
- Suncoast Casino is part of the Tsogo Sun empire and is at the northern end of Durban’s Golden Mile. There are plenty of top-class restaurants to choose from.
- Moses Mabida Stadium is an iconic stadium built for the 2010 World Cup and it has a Skycar and Big Swing for those who want to experience an adrenalin rush.
- Gateway Shopping Centre is at Umhlanga and it is a popular shopping destination for locals and visitors. It is a 10-minute drive north from the beachfront hotel precinct.
- The Umhlanga Promenade is a walkway between the ocean and the famous Umhlanga hotels. It takes at least 45 minutes to stroll along this busy route. Checkout the lighthouse and some of the iconic hotels along the way, including the Beverly Hills and Oyster Box hotels.
Popular day tours to see the areas outside of Durban include:
- Valley of a Thousand Hills – It’s a 2 hour drive to get there, allow a full day.
- Hluhluwe Game Reserve – It’s a 2 hour drive to get there, allow a full day.
- Drakensberg – allow a full day
- Zulu Village – allow at least a full day.
- Pietermaritzburg – It’s an hour drive inland from Durban.
- Wild Coast Sun Casino – It’s a 3-hour drive to get there allow a full day.
- Scuba Dive at Aliwal Shoal – allow a full day
To get around, there are several options:
- People Mover buses follow a set route and their brochures are in the Delegate Goody Bags
- Taxis are abundant, and the concierge desk at your hotel will arrange one on request.
- The Ricksha Bus is a tourist bus that follows a set route on a time schedule. It’s a great way to see the City.
- Tour Operators are available to take you around and they usually need to be pre-booked. The list supplied by Durban Tourism includes:
- CK Travel & Tours – 031 562 8224 / email@example.com
- Kuhle Tours – 031 332 0894 / 031 332 0768 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aqua Tours – email@example.com / 086 100 2782
- Discover Durban Tours – 031 505 2082 / 073 408 0924 / firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.discoverworldtravel.co.za
- SBRM Tours – 073 189 5616 / 076 936 5513 / email@example.com sbrmtours.com
- Syavaya Tours – +27 31 566 4722 / +27 82 791 2884 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yes Please Travel & Tours – 086 111 3002 / email@example.com
- Hotty’s Travel & Tours – 082 467 3122 / 031 301 7455/ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Solo Travel Tours and Car Hire – 081 584 4293 / email@example.com
- Mhlanga Travel & Tourism Project (Pty) Ltd – 031 536 2123 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dankiza Tours – (033) 346 0252 / email@example.com
To arrange a Scuba Dive experience, or a Safari, or a local Tour
Specific Requests will be considered:
Have you heard of something that is not listed above, and you would like to visit or do it?
Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to arrange it for you.
We want to enhance your stay in Durban. Make memories whilst your partner enjoys the WCDP. Tell us how we can assist.
031 312 9251